This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management, data collection, visualization, and farm automation systems. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our Farms.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- You’ll design and deploy sensor networks for measuring mass, lighting, airflow, plant health, and growing system characteristics and will play an instrumental role in architecting software to collect, process, and visualize data from those sensors.
- You’ll create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- You’ll shape the foundation of our software engineering team - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- You’ll work with mechanical engineering and agricultural science teams to design experimental frameworks that ensure data integrity and empower us to more easily analyze and act upon data from new trials.
- You’ll design new control systems to provide greater flexibility over various components of the growing environment.
- You’ll scale systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who you are
- You’ve got a BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or a related engineering field.
- You’ve developed hardware prototypes using Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Particle, and can rapidly learn new techniques for hardware and electronics projects.
- Ideally you have experience building systems that have both monitoring (input) and control (output) components.
- You’re comfortable with C / C++ and have experience with embedded and industrial control systems.
- You’ve used implementations of protocols like MQTT, XMPP, and AMQP to handle messaging between hardware and software systems.
- You’re excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You proactively mitigate issues through test-driven development, continuous deployment, and thoughtful application of monitoring and alerting.
- You’ve developed and scaled production web applications using Rails, Django, Play, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
Bowery is the Modern Farming Company on an ambitious mission to transform the future of food and change the face of agriculture. We believe in better food, better access to that food, and better care for the world around us. By leveraging automation, software, and controlled environment technology, we’re building an innovative new way of growing food locally that’s over 100x+ more productive than the same square foot of farmland, while using 0 pesticides and 95% less water. Bowery believes in the power and potential of technology to help in solving many of the world’s problems, but without great people, technology can only do so much. We have assembled a best-in-class team of interdisciplinary experts who are passionate about the problems that we’re tackling.
Bowery is based in New York City and has raised $7.5M in seed capital to date from some of the best investors in the world, including First Round Capital, Box Group, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, SV Angel, Homebrew, and more. We are also backed by established leaders and innovators in the food industry, including the founder CEOs of Blue Apron and Dig Inn, Chairman of Plated, and Top Chef judge and restaurateur Tom Colicchio.