This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management, data collection, farm control, visualization, and farm automation systems. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our Farms.
This role will help lead a team of data scientists and help shape the how machine learning and computer vision are used by modern farmers.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- You will be responsible for practical implementations of computer vision and image analysis techniques measuring plant growth
- You will be responsible for designing, planning, and implementing experimental protocols for measuring effectiveness of current and future vision systems
- You will be working to constantly improve our image capture systems using hardware (cameras, lenses, lighting, etc) and software (image processing, machine learning techniques, etc).
- You’ll create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- You’ll shape the foundation of our data science team - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- You’ll develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Perform experiments in order to build out new and improve current models that optimize plant growth, optimize farm work, and improve quality of product.
- You’ll build systems that optimize crop cycles, taste profiles, and workflow schedules to improve yields, improve the quality of our product, and make the best use of time in the farm.
Who you are
- PHD in Computer Science or related field and 5+ years industry experience
- You must be able to communicate your research and translate that research into effective production scale solutions.
- You have a deep understanding of and have applied various machine learning and computer vision techniques for solving real-world problems.
- You have a strong programming background in Python, Java and/or C/C++
- You have experience with CNN frameworks such as Torch or TensorFlow.
- You have experience with Image Processing + CV frameworks such as OpenCV.
- You are excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You are confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Bowery is the Modern Farming Company on an ambitious mission to transform the future of food and change the face of agriculture. We believe in better food, better access to that food, and better care for the world around us. By leveraging automation, software, and controlled environment technology, we’re building an innovative new way of growing food locally that’s over 100x+ more productive than the same square foot of farmland, while using 0 pesticides and 95% less water. Bowery believes in the power and potential of technology to help in solving many of the world’s problems, but without great people, technology can only do so much. We have assembled a best-in-class team of interdisciplinary experts who are passionate about the problems that we’re tackling.
Bowery is based in New York City and has raised $7.5M in seed capital to date from some of the best investors in the world, including First Round Capital, Box Group, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, SV Angel, Homebrew, and more. We are also backed by established leaders and innovators in the food industry, including the founder CEOs of Blue Apron and Dig Inn, Chairman of Plated, and Top Chef judge and restaurateur Tom Colicchio.