This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
This position is part of the Systems Engineering team and will lead the development of the company’s electrical system responsible for powering and controlling the grow system. You will work with our passionate multi-disciplinary team of world-class mechanical engineers, software engineers and agricultural scientists to determine the most efficient way of routing and directing electrons through the system.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- You’ll create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, software engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- You’ll shape the foundation of our systems engineering team - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- You’ll design scalable, manufacturable components and electrical systems (like wiring systems and wire harnesses) to support the demands of our farms currently in operation and future farms.
- You’ll support the designing and building of prototype systems to enable our software engineering and agricultural science teams to continue to experiment and collect data to drive strategic decisions.
- You’ll establish and cultivate relationships with vendors and suppliers and effectively manage expectations internally and externally.
- You’ll be responsible for designing and setting up Bowery’s first electronics lab needed for prototyping electrical fabrication
Who you are
- You’ve earned a BS/MS in Electrical Engineering or other related field.
- You have experience with high reliability products such as automotive, medical or aerospace.
- You proactively mitigate issues through robust and iterative testing - ensuring things break along the way and learning from that.
- You have experience conceiving of and building technologies where precise power management was a top priority.
- You aren’t constrained to the realm of ‘bits’ but understand ‘atoms’ too.
- You have the ability to translate business and agricultural questions into electrical system design problems, solve those problems, and interpret the output back into clear outcomes.
- You’re confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You’re experienced with managing projects that require coordinating your own work with external partners and/or multi-functional teams.
- You are excited about how advancements in industrial automation and robotics can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet (PLC experience, bonus points)
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
Bowery is the Modern Farming Company on an ambitious mission to transform the future of food and change the face of agriculture. We believe in better food, better access to that food, and better care for the world around us. By leveraging automation, software, and controlled environment technology, we’re building an innovative new way of growing food locally that’s over 100x+ more productive than the same square foot of farmland, while using 0 pesticides and 95% less water. Bowery believes in the power and potential of technology to help in solving many of the world’s problems, but without great people, technology can only do so much. We have assembled a best-in-class team of interdisciplinary experts who are passionate about the problems that we’re tackling.
Bowery is based in New York City and has raised $7.5M in seed capital to date from some of the best investors in the world, including First Round Capital, Box Group, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, SV Angel, Homebrew, and more. We are also backed by established leaders and innovators in the food industry, including the founder CEOs of Blue Apron and Dig Inn, Chairman of Plated, and Top Chef judge and restaurateur Tom Colicchio.