This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can lead, establish long-term roadmaps and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and, who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
This person will be an experienced and senior member of the Systems Engineering team responsible for the mechanical design of Bowery’s grow system and for leveling-up the automation within the farm. You will be responsible for the full product lifecycle from ideation through installation of mechanical components and systems within the farm.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- You’ll shape the foundation of our systems engineering team - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- You’ll create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside software engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- You’ll design scalable, manufacturable components and mechanical systems to support the demands of our farms currently in operation and future farms.
- You’ll be responsible for managing the team that will be assessing failure modes across all components and mechanical systems, leveraging tools such as CFD analysis, FEA, and the FMEA framework.
- You’ll support the designing and building of prototype systems to enable our software engineering and agricultural science teams to continue to experiment and collect data to drive strategic decisions.
- You’ll be responsible for the practical design and integration of automation and robotics.
- You’ll establish and cultivate relationships with vendors and suppliers and effectively manage expectations internally and externally.
Who you are
- You’ve earned a BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or other related field.
- You have 6+ years experience with complex system design roles and engineering leadership roles.
- You’re fluent in design using 3D CAD software like SolidWorks, Creo, or SketchUp
- You proactively mitigate issues through robust and iterative testing - ensuring things break along the way and learning from that.
- You aren’t constrained to the realm of ‘atoms’ but understand ‘bits’ too.
- You have the ability to translate business and agricultural questions into mechanical system design problems, solve those problems, and interpret the output back into clear outcomes.
- You’re experienced with managing people whom require coordinating your own work internally, across multiple disciplines along with external partners and/or multi-functional teams.
- You are excited about how advancements in industrial automation and robotics can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You understand what it means to take extreme ownership of projects from start to finish, including the success / failures of those reporting directly to you.
- You thrive on the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
Bowery is the Modern Farming Company on an ambitious mission to transform the future of food and change the face of agriculture. We believe in better food, better access to that food, and better care for the world around us. By leveraging automation, software, and controlled environment technology, we’re building an innovative new way of growing food locally that’s over 100x+ more productive than the same square foot of farmland, while using 0 pesticides and 95% less water. Bowery believes in the power and potential of technology to help in solving many of the world’s problems, but without great people, technology can only do so much. We have assembled a best-in-class team of interdisciplinary experts who are passionate about the problems that we’re tackling.
Bowery is based in New York City and has raised $7.5M in seed capital to date from some of the best investors in the world, including First Round Capital, Box Group, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, SV Angel, Homebrew, and more. We are also backed by established leaders and innovators in the food industry, including the founder CEOs of Blue Apron and Dig Inn, Chairman of Plated, and Top Chef judge and restaurateur Tom Colicchio.