This is an opportunity to join a small, growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management, data collection, visualization, and farm automation systems. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our Farms.
What you’ll do at Bowery
- You’ll create innovative analytical solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- You’ll optimize work and production schedules to achieve the highest utilization of time and space in the farm.
- You’ll analyze historical data related to crop growth and environmental characteristics to forecast yields for future harvests and uncover insights about ways conditions can be optimized.
- You’ll shape the foundation of our data science team - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- You’ll use the key drivers of Bowery's business and agricultural science to design experimental frameworks to ensure data integrity and empower us to more easily analyze and act upon data from new trials.
- You’ll work alongside software engineers to implement data processing and visualization systems that make data readily available and simplify how insights are communicated.
Who you are
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Statistics or other related field. Advanced degree preferred and 3+ years industry experience.
- You have a strong mathematical background in probability, statistics, and optimization algorithms.
- You are fluent in a scripting language such as Python or R, for fast prototyping.
- You are proficient with query languages (SQL/Postgres) + maybe even dream in SQL
- You have a deep understanding of and have applied various machine learning techniques for solving real-world problems.
- You must be able to translate business and agricultural questions into data science problems, solve those problems, and interpret the output back into clear outcomes.
- You are excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You are confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow post-organic produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Fowler & Wells. Based in New York City, the company has raised $27.5M from leading investors including General Catalyst, GGV Capital, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and First Round Capital..